Basically as a reminder for myself here are the steps to update the BIOS on a Supermicro X9SRiF board. The reason in my case was that I needed bitfurcation and that was not available in the v3.2 BIOS installed before.
- Download ZIP file with new BIOS (v3.3 is the latest as of this writing and will likely stay, given how old the board is). The release notes are available here.
- Use Rufus to create a USB stick that boots FreeDOS.
- Extract the contents of the BIOS update ZIP file onto the USB stick.
- Boot your X9SRi-F board off of the USB stick by pressing F11 to enter the boot menu at startup.
- Run the update program with the command
- Wait patiently until the command prompt comes back.
- Turn the machine off, wait at least 10 seconds, and turn it on again.
- It will switch itself off once, during the first startup, so don’t get nervous.